Thursday 23 May 2013

editorial mock up pages

I made this mockup on indesign of what my editorial would look like a couple of weeks ago before we had shot anything. So i've just placed random images and writing in to give me and idea on what i may want to do in the final editorial layout.


On this opening page I really liked the idea of using an image over the double page and then using the grandient tool to then make it fade over the pages so i can add text over the top. I think this is successful because the image works with the writing and you still get the feel of the whole image but the writing gets incorporated. So for this I would need an image that has a bit of empty space so the writing can go over that. This wont work with a close up image of the three because then the writing would go over the top of one of the models.


In Yen magazine they use alot of white margins in their layouts so this one incorporates a large white margin on the top and bottom, creating square images with the photo and text. I find this aesthetically pleasing as it is symmetrical and the negative space allows you to breathe and pulls your focus towards the image and writing.


With this layout i have incorporated the margins on one side and then full bleed on the other side. I love this because it pulls attention to both images. On the first one you get breathing space around the image and then your eye travels to this big image on the right that is very dominant. I may swap these pages around because the full bleed image may be a focal point so it is better to have it on the left side so the eye can travel left to right through the pages.


No comments:

Post a Comment